Ever went to a party and laid your eyes on a well-dressed man/woman, got smitten by their attire and the way they looked and said to yourself I wish I dressed up this chic? Well, a good meta description is just the same, it acts as the eye-candy for your website initially noticed by people when they search for something that is related to you. An amazing meta description brings the party(organic traffic) to your doorstep. Thus it is essential it is remarkably descriptive and purposeful to search results. For grabbing a reader’s attention and convincing them that your web page contains the exact information to quench their thirst it is crucial to use captivating meta tags! Read below to find out how you can write fascinating meta descriptions and capitalize on the golden marketing opportunity of getting leads and customers for your flourishing business:
1. Highlight your Unique Selling Proposition(USP), let your buyer know what makes you stand out from the crowd, what special things you are offering which your rivals don’t. Have a look at this meta description from Ferns N Petals. See how the word FREE is used in shouty capitals telling their customers it doesn’t charge anything for shipping. It has carefully placed its products at the starting and mentioned their USP of how you can place an order online, and they will deliver within 4 hours.
2. Before your meta description, people look at your meta title which often adds to the potency of your description. It is helpful if you create a perfect title going hand in hand with the description and appeals to the crowd.
3. Your descriptions should focus on what the user is getting out of your brand and what you have in store for them that can change their life for good by solving their problems. Whenever you write a meta description keep in mind two questions:
a) What are you offering?
b) Why should the customer come to you?
When we look at Grofers meta description, it clearly states that one can get online fruits, vegetables, and groceries at one place and get them home delivered at meager prices. So the customer does not have to leave the comfort of their home and stress about bargaining, reason enough to rely on the website and use it for every need!
4. The meta descriptions should leave an impact. Look how OnePlus assures that their products are of “premium” quality and they only offer the “best technology” to its users around the globe and concludes with their popular hashtag “NeverSettle.” It is a bold, commendable effort capable of creating a strong impression amongst its potential customers and make them come back for more.
5. Make your meta description sound vibrant and inviting rather than awkward and technical. Decide whether you want your meta description to sound like a warm, welcoming neighbour or a grumpy-old-man. Use a warm, welcoming tone while writing, you want to be a friend of your customer and re-read it again to avoid any typos.
6. Your meta description acts as your sales text. It is there to boost your sales. Thus advertise your discounts by incorporating an offer or a call-to-action wherever it fits perfectly in the description to amplify your click-through rate.
Some Do’s and Don’ts:
i) Make sure you use essential keywords in the description and the title. Begin with the most important keyword followed by less relevant ones.
ii) Write an eye-pleasing meta title in not more than 60-72 characters and meta description in 150-160 characters to make it more readable and feed your complete thoughts into the lead’s mind.
iii) Write original content free of typos and errors.
iv) Be creative while creating descriptions so that people are compelled to read it and go to your website.
i) Do not copy and repeat. Learn to write unique titles and descriptions. Search engines can penalize you if your content is copied.
ii) Do not use inapposite keywords. You might want to use popular keywords but see to it that you make sense when using them or else you will lose your SEO ranking.
iii) Do not surpass the word/character count while writing a description. Anything longer than 160 characters will be truncated by Google not giving your customers the exact clarity of your thoughts.
iv) Do not stuff irrelevant keywords in the title and description. It will cause the customers to bounce off from your website.
To get the maximum traffic every month, work on the minute details. We hope with these tips and shortcuts you will be able to create perfect meta descriptions which will improve your chances of getting new prospects and enhance your website’s conversion rate.
Agam Chaudhary, a digital marketing consultant with a comprehensive experience of a decade in the marketing domain, cultivates an extensive vision of marketing. He fosters a firm belief in tangible results and his experience, intuitiveness, and expertise help him score the results he aims for- bridging the gap between digital marketing and business enterprises to bring about mutual success! He has worked for several preeminent brands like LG, Religare, HT, FICCI, and MacMillan, among many others. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.